16 May 2012

What I spent 8 hours reading last Saturday

Last Saturday, five very enthusiastic TEDxUCL team members got together to go through the ticket applications for the event. We were excited, full of energy and raring to go. Let me tell you, we did not come out of that meeting full of energy. It took us 8 HOURS to go through the 840 applications we received in just 3 days. The response from the public was overwhelming and the applications were wonderful to read. Choosing just 100 applicants was nearly impossible, which is probably why it took so long to go through them all.
What got us through those 8 arduous hours, though, was humour. Some applications were hilarious, so original and entertaining.
I’d now like to share some of my favourite quotes. These people did not necessarily receive tickets (although some did), but I thought their sense of humour was worth sharing. If one of these quotes is yours and you’d rather I didn’t publish it, please feel free to get in touch and we will take it down – your identity has, of course, not been revealed.

“During an argument with my girlfriend recently I joking asked Siri “why is Emma being so mean?” My iPhone replied “You think and ask ‘why?’, I dream and ask ‘why not?’ “. I like that.”

“The iphone app has become my surrogate television, watching it during breakfast, in bed, on the toilet etc.”

“Typing up my whole application on my mobile phone. This has to prove some dedication to come to this event.”

“I would hurt for months if I didn’t get a ticket. Santa didn’t always answer my wishes and I don’t know why, because I always endeavoured to be good for the year. Don’t be like Santa. Thanks”

“I think so far out of the box, I end up 100 miles from the factory that makes the box.”

Can you figure this out!? “.enilno ees I klat eht yb deripsni esoht fo eno mI dna tenretni eht revo snoillim etarogivni stneve xDET”

“Anything about yourself you would like to tell us about? (in 100 words or less): ‘No. Here’s a joke: a dyslexic man walks into a bra.’”

“I love problems so much I can sleep with them.”


 This was one of my posts from the blog I help run for TEDxUCL

No comments: